[plug] Remote machines

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 30 20:14:29 WST 2002

Sorry about replying to my own post again, last time promise...

Upon futher reflection PASV _can't_ work, as the _server_ decides what
port the client is to connect to. You need to use PORT (where your
client can decide what ports it wants the server to listen on) and along
with the control channel also forward a pre-configured list of ports
from the remote host back to your machine. The problem is still getting
the client to use the desired ports though.

Think

ssh <stuff> -L1234:ftphost:21 -R1850:localhost:1850 -R
1851:localhost:1851 <...> isp-ssh-server

then ncftp -P 1234 localhost

this is all do-able. What we need to be able to do is something like

ncftp -P 1234 -V 1850-1851 localhost

where "-V" says "use these local ports for PORT commands"

alas I can't find any references to any such option in ncftp manpage,
.ncftp/firewall, other ftp client manpages, or a quick google search.
Could be somewhat of a showstopper.

Anyway I'll wait for responses now, hope this has been at least remotely
helpful.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.