[plug] Remote machines

Cameron Patrick cp at chem.com.au
Thu May 30 20:31:29 WST 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 08:14:29PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Sorry about replying to my own post again, last time promise...
>
> Upon futher reflection PASV _can't_ work, as the _server_ decides what
> port the client is to connect to. You need to use PORT (where your
> client can decide what ports it wants the server to listen on) and along
> with the control channel also forward a pre-configured list of ports
> from the remote host back to your machine. The problem is still getting
> the client to use the desired ports though.

One option would be to use an SSH-magic-SOCKS-server - see the -D option
in the SSH man page.  If I recall correctly, once (before I had a linux
machine to do masquerading) upon a time passive FTP worked through a SOCKS
server.

Does anyone know of an easy way of setting up Debian as a part-time
socks client?

> Anyway I'll wait for responses now, hope this has been at least remotely
> helpful.

Yup, thanks for your help.  Your brief explanation of passive FTP helped
me understand the problem - but there must be some way of doing it ;)
since it's been done before.  The Windows client that I mentioned before
is called SecureFX and according to the URL below 'creates a secure
"tunnel" via SSH2, and then uses the standard FTP protocol to upload
and download data within that tunnel.'

http://www.pair.com/pair/support/tutorials/secureftp.html

CP.