[plug] seeking perl wisdom

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 5 14:39:28 WST 2002

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 12:42, sol wrote:

> My (hypothetical) question is:
>
> If you were going to develop a web site from scratch - knowing what you
> know now - that would require a high degree of dynamic content, and were
> going to process online transactions (including credit card and cheque
> order) using a RDB like Postgresql, what method of development would you
> favour?

I'd write it in mod_perl as custom modules, or more likely, the bulk of it in
EDO, with extraneous non-standard handling as custom modules.

EDO (Extensible Data Objects) is a markup language I wrote myself years ago,
and have been steadily developing over the years, designed to throw DB access
into pages, but it's quite powerful and, well, extensible.

It's also quite inefficient/slow (usually got around using extensive caching),
very powerful at some stuff, but clumsy at others, and still heavily under
development.

It's a wheel I started to work on myself before other similar free solutions
were worked on, and so I haven't looked closely at many other systems...

If you want more info, I've slapped it onto SourceForge, and would welcome
feedback (or even co-developers):
   http://edo.sourceforge.net/

It's only CVS ATM, and I think I'm missing some extra libraries developed
in-house for some of the modules... Also, this is "version 2", which is
structured much better than the old version, but I haven't adapted the
mod_perl module to work - Still in testing using the FastCGI executable
version. ^_^

Most of the "Demo EDO Apps" are used on our servers under restricted access,
although we're about to replace large chunks of the top-level pages with
dynamic EDO stuff. (Currently it's statically maintained, or pulled from flat
text files by another apache perl module...)

> I'm assuming that it's worth learning something about mod_perl
> regardless of which method is employed?

Knowing mod_perl is great anyway, and isn't that hard. It gives you power to
write your own Auth layers, etc... I highly recommend O'Reilly's "Writing
Apache Modules in Perl and C".

If you want to go the traditional CGI way, and don't want a heavy mod_perl
server then FastCGI is great for turning a slow CGI into a persistent app.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |