[plug] adsl opinions

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Nov 13 00:44:52 WST 2002

Darren wrote:

>I want to upgrade my dial-up account  to adsl ,im interested to hear
>others opinions,good-bad experiences with  their or other isp's.
>cheers  Darren

Personally I'm with WestNet for ADSL at home (512K) and ADSL at work
(1.5Mbit).

Only problems I've ever had have been related to Telstra faults, which
have affected all ADSL users statewide (irrespective of ISP - they all
have to use Telstra).

If you need a highly reliable connection (well, as much as possible),
I'd steer clear of D-Link ADSL client equipment.  I have had a few
problems with my D-Link DSL-500 dropping out for no reasons for a couple
of seconds, which then reconnects by itself which can be rather annoying
(it seems to be an error quite a few people seem to get).

But at work I got us a Cisco 827 ADSL router and now that its up and
running it works great, but I did have a few problems getting it up and
running (which were related to the Cisco - not the ISP or Telstra at
all).  They are about ~$1300 if I remember correctly, probably a tad
overkill for a home user though. :)

/ Ben