[plug] adsl opinions & clarification & DSL300

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Nov 13 16:11:06 WST 2002

Bret Busby wrote:

>From memory, at that time, it was about
>$800 to get a satellite dish, and about $80 per month.

Also note, that that would be one way Satellite, so you'd still have to
have a modem and dial-up somewhere for the outgoing data (so call
charges there).

Satellite is also affected by weather and has periods during the year
where it doesn't work entirely (caused by the sun being directly behind
the Satellie) which is only a short occurance from what I hear (couple
of hours).  Also there are apparently periods where the signal is
degraded, hence lower download speeds.

So if you can get ADSL, you'd definetly choose it over Satellite any
day.  Well I would anyway :)

/ Ben