[plug] adsl opinions

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 15 10:30:03 WST 2002

At 10:07 15/11/2002 +0800, Craig wrote:
>Bret Busby wrote:
>>On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:
>>If people on this list are willing to spend a little time, sit down and
>>write a letter to editor at postnewspapers.com.au or
>>letters at postnewspapers.com.au . Explain why its an issue, and how it
>>affects you. Make it short and clear. If you can, bring in local (western
>>suburbs) issues.
Itchy keyboard fingers (all two of 'em) at the ready.  Is there a
southern-suburbs equivalent -- i.e. are you part of the Community
Newspapers group or is Post an independent like Freo's Herald?   Way I'm
thinking here is that it *if* you're part of a larger group then it may pay
to hit the corporate HQ and get "broadband" coverage.  Pun intended.

I haven't done the stats but over the last couple of weeks especially there
has been a lot of traffic on this list regards adsl problems.   Given the
population on this list such problems cannot be easily laid at the feet of
users' "computer illiteracy" or so it seems to me.  Hence this "story"
should have wider appeal and is probably all the more topical in the light
of Telstra's impending sell off.  No?   I am *not* suggesting a Telstra
beat-up but certainly they are a key stakeholder in providing
infrastructure and also financially unviable alternatives.

Cheers,
Denis