[plug] adsl opinions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 15 11:50:13 WST 2002

>>> If people on this list are willing to spend a little time, sit down
>>> and write a letter to editor at postnewspapers.com.au or
>>> letters at postnewspapers.com.au . Explain why its an issue, and how it
>>> affects you. Make it short and clear. If you can, bring in local
>>> (western suburbs) issues.

> Itchy keyboard fingers (all two of 'em) at the ready.  Is there a
> southern-suburbs equivalent -- i.e. are you part of the Community
> Newspapers group or is Post an independent like Freo's Herald?

Independent :-P

I can't help you with the Community Group papers. The POST does have
contacts with the other Perth independents through Perth Independent
Newspapers but only really for cross-publication ad sales etc.

> Way I'm
> thinking here is that it *if* you're part of a larger group then it may
> pay to hit the corporate HQ and get "broadband" coverage.  Pun intended.

You can try that with Community Group ... but given who owns it I doubt
they'll be willing to rock the boat.

> and is probably all the more
> topical in the light of Telstra's impending sell off.  No?   I am *not*
> suggesting a Telstra beat-up but certainly they are a key stakeholder in
> providing infrastructure and also financially unviable alternatives.

<rant>
Oh, don't start me on the telstra sale. Its insane. The /only/ things
holding Telstra in check now are political pressure and the ACCC. The
ACCC is being limited by the government out of corporate fears that its
too powerful, and it would probably not be allowed to regulate Telstra
if sold completely. Telstra is fundamentally broken anyway since it
controls the national infrastructure but yet has a retail arm that deals
direct with customers. So they have a serious case of schizophrenia,
with the infrastructual arm having to try to treat the retail arm's
competitors fairly, and the retail arm wanting competitor's blood at all
costs. It CAN NEVER WORK as a company without either being regulated to
the point where it may as well be gov't anyway, or being a monopoly in
the market.

So, what do we do? We rip it apart. Retain government ownership of the
infrastructure, and sell off the retail arm. Conflict of interest
eliminated, national infrastructure remains in government hands, and the
whole mess is neatened up. Downside? Dumb bastards sold half of it
already, so how to handle this given that its a part-public company with
shareholers who'll likely be pissed when told that "oh sorry we totally
restructured the company and devalued it massively in the process". I
don't have an answer on that issue.

Telstra currently justifies the x cents/mb they charge by saying they're
"only passing on the costs" ... yeah, from their own wholesale arm which
imposes them. Of course telstra retail doesn't care, its charging an
on-paper fee to itsself, but it hurts the competitors badly. Oh, so sad
- it even helps Telstra rake in more money, too. This is the kind of
crap that can be eliminated or at least put on a level playing field by
splitting Telstra. An accounting separation, as currently proposed, will
help make it more obvious where the dodgy dealing is going on but won't
actually help fix it.

So - I don't see any viable long-term alternative to breaking up Telsta.
Currently its in telstra's best interests to be anti-competitive using
its control of the infrastructure, and its in the govt's interests not
to step on that too hard since they get 1/2 of Telstra's profits from
said behaviour. Thats just got to stop, since its Australia's population
getting screwed. (sure, the gov't cash theoretically makes it back to
us, but I'd prefer a more up-front choice about how that worked).
</rant>

*phew*. Hope I made my point.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)