[plug] Open Source and Communism (Ayn Rand is a nut)

Shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Nov 17 23:03:56 WST 2002

Chris,

First, keep in mind that being a Christian doesn't preclude you from an
interest in politics, I realise there are some religious dialogues on
"worldlyness" that seems to indicate so, But keep in mind that old JC
was political himself. Being a creature of the left , some of the most
dynamic activists I've known have been Ardent Christians , in once case
a guy who was constantly being arrested down south protecting "gods forrests".
And then theres the lovely old Sister Veronica from UWA whos been a
ferocious champion of Human and Social rights.
Same too with the right, plenty of Christains there. Really Church and State
are separate matters, but that doesn't preclude you from taking part, just
keep in mind that they are different spheres.

*ANYWAY* I actually think that where as Proprietry software is strictly a
beast of capitalism, that doesn't mean Open source is Communist at all.
If one *really* wanted to ascribe an ideological nexus, it would be between
Libertarianism(right anarchy) & Bautikun Style Anarchism(left anarchy), and
those ideologies are probably best summarised in the argumentation of ESR and
RMS respectively. There both anarchists, it's just the space of the discourse
left over really differs only after the wide goal of removing the overarching
power structure has been removed. If that makes any sense.

The Linux Kernel project strongly resembles in some sense the power
distributions that naturally emerge in syndicalist social organisations where
heirachical power has been removed. Linus is the leader, only because people
chose to follow him, not because they have to.

Oh and I hasten to add that it may be wise to take the article with a grain of
salt, as with the strong Randist inclination it is prudent to add that Ayn
Rand was widely regarded as a Kook. Consider that the Ayn Rand institute
aggressively pursues critics, "ex communicates" dissenters, sees "altruism"
as a great evil, and has copped the ire of many cult watch organisations.

http://students.depaul.edu/~sdowney/cult_def.htm

Why the Ayn rand institute would disagree with the article;-
http://microsoft.aynrand.org/ (A verry PRO microsoft bit of writing)
http://environmentalism.aynrand.org/ (Anti environmentalism)
Most disturbingly;-
http://multiculturalism.aynrand.org/ (Anti multiculturalism).