[plug] Open Source and Communism (Ayn Rand is a nut)

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 17 21:05:28 WST 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 23:03, Shayne wrote:
> Chris,
>
> *ANYWAY* I actually think that where as Proprietry software is strictly a
> beast of capitalism, that doesn't mean Open source is Communist at all.
> If one *really* wanted to ascribe an ideological nexus, it would be between
> Libertarianism(right anarchy) & Bautikun Style Anarchism(left anarchy), and
> those ideologies are probably best summarised in the argumentation of ESR and
> RMS respectively. There both anarchists, it's just the space of the discourse
> left over really differs only after the wide goal of removing the overarching
> power structure has been removed. If that makes any sense.

I thought of it as a system that does not break any of the rules of
capitalism whilst completeing many of the outcomes of (theoretical, read
utopian) communism.

A system that would be neither left nor right and on a completely
different scale.

I also never viewed China and the Soviet Union as communist countries as
a communist revolution is where the workers are supposed to take power
yet there weren't many workers at the times of these revolutions just
peasants.

Its like one big company that also happened to be the government did
what lots of much smaller companies did in western nations. That is to
turn peasants into workers.

I hope this doesn't turn into a *really* long thread

lol

Thanks,

Chris