[plug] Open Source and Communism (and Anarchism)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Nov 18 11:01:15 WST 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 11:03 pm, Shayne wrote:
> First, keep in mind that being a Christian doesn't preclude you from an
> interest in politics,

I think a lot depends on how you define `Christian' (-: apologies, of course,
to Christian if he's reading this :-). For example, if you are a Roman
Catholic you are officially _required_ to throw your political weight around
to assist the aims of a small State in Italy, which of course makes you at
least technically ineligible for office and possibly even to vote in some
countires (because your first allegience is then to a foreign power).

> *ANYWAY* I actually think that where as Proprietry software is strictly a
> beast of capitalism, that doesn't mean Open source is Communist at all.

At first glance paradoxic, but I agree.

> Bautikun Style Anarchism (left anarchy)

Gee, I'm glad _you_ know what you're talking about... (-: who the heck was
Bautikus? Did he invent wax-based tie-dyeing? :-)

> There both anarchists, it's just the space of the discourse left over
> really differs only after the wide goal of removing the overarching
> power structure has been removed. If that makes any sense.

It does. It seems ironic that such an Anarchistic structure overlays
industrial systems to which it is basically antithesis... I'm wondering if
the OSS approach will filter down into the structures beneath it at all?

> The Linux Kernel project strongly resembles in some sense the power
> distributions that naturally emerge in syndicalist social organisations
> where heirachical power has been removed. Linus is the leader, only because
> people chose to follow him, not because they have to.

And because it's fun <nods to Colin>.

> Consider that the Ayn Rand institute aggressively pursues critics,
> "ex communicates" dissenters, sees "altruism" as a great evil, and
> has copped the ire of many cult watch organisations.

What, like this? http://www.xenu.net/

Cheers; Leon