[plug] debian users on ADSL tip

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Nov 19 17:53:58 WST 2002

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Bit of both according to the people at iiNet I've been dealing with.
> Telstra has problems with the exchanges, iiNet is having problems with
> its ATM links between Wellington St and QV1, and there may be more
> going on. The root of the problem is that nobody actually knows whats
> wrong and are stumbling around trying to figure out why the network is
> going down all the time. Unfortunately, Subiaco exchange is hurt worse
> than most (note that Subi->Wellington St is pure telstra AFAIK) and
> thats what we're on.
>
> Shoot 'em all, I say. Well, maybe not but its getting awfully tempting.
>
> Half the problem is that I can't get a good answer out of iiNet as to
> what is wrong because neither they or Telstra know. Doesn't change the
> fact that today is the first day in 1 1/2 weeks I've had our ADSL
> working when I come in in the morning, usually its broken somehow
> (timeouts on LCP Auth usually, but sometimes no response to PADI
> packets!)

Does iiNet offer ADSL in bridged mode without authentication?

We use that at work with WestNet and it seems a lot more reliable in
terms of dropouts than my standard PPPoE at home (but that could also be
attributed to me using a D-Link DSL-500 at home as well).  WestNet were
consistently having problems with one of their VCs for ADSL before, that
Telstra never found a solution for.  I'd be more inclined to point the
finger at Telstra than iiNet, as Telstra's current track record with
wholesale ADSL in WA is pathetic to say the least.

/ Ben