[plug] Installing new hardware the 'Debian' way.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 26 14:36:21 WST 2002

> Thanks guys.  Craig, this is the approach that I originally took.  It didn't
> work.  I see the alias entries, but the interface won't come up until I
> manually do a "modprobe...  etc".  I put it down to something I don't get
> about modules and debian.  Again, the line "alias eth0 off" in the file is
> something I don't understand at all.

Hmm. That "auto eth2" etc is important, it tells the system to "ifup
eth2" at boot. Also check /etc/modules.conf (auto-generated from
/etc/modutils/* by update-modules) to see that the "alias ethx xxx"
lines are there.

Are there any error messages on boot about the network, modprobe errors,
etc?

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)