[plug] X-Mas present

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Oct 18 20:17:37 WST 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, quoth Harry McNally:

> I didn't realise there were hardware mods Matt. If you can point me at
> the site for the mods I can guage my ability (time availability mainly)
> to put my hand up for hardware.

This site has links to a few different ones:
http://xbox-scene.com/modchips.php

I know of one person (PLUG member, but no longer on this list) who got the
29 wire version and his X-Box is now happily running Debian.
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/homemademod.php

He has a spare chip and is happy to donate it (and program it for us)

> Stand clear! I have a soldering iron and I'm not afaid to use it! :)

Step this way please! *grin*

> ps The hardware mods couldn't have legal consequences, surely ?

Apparently there's a copyright issue because most of the mod chips contain
their own BIOS code, which is based on the Microsoft BIOS code.
I don't know the specifics, nor do I know if there is a way to do it
without infringing copyright, hence why I wanted to open the debate.

 - Matt