[plug] Strange errors

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Fri Oct 25 08:55:44 WST 2002

On 25 Oct 2002, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have some strange errors on a new install of rh7.3.  A previous
> install worked fine, but I needed to change the partion layout to
> consolidate some free space.  I left /home and /var alone.  Now the
> machine won't shutdown cleanly; it shuts down all services and then says
> 'INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel'. It gets no further.  I
> can still switch between consoles but not log in obviously.
>
> When the machine is up, it will accept remote logins, samba shares work
> fine, but pop and imap access to mail is rejected, despite the imap rpm
> being installed and supposedly running.
>
> Through traffic is also blocked, despite the firewall being configured
> properly (ie, the same as before when it did work,
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and ip_dynaddr being 1.  I can ping from
> this machine to the outside world, but not through it from another
> machine on the network.
>
> This is all in spite of two new installs, formatting the / partition but
> not /home and /var.  This problem is a little serious because the
> machine is the mail server and internet gateway for the office.  Anyone
> got any ideas?

Hya,

Is there any particular, apart from www and ftp you have kept the /var
partition?

Just that this holds alot of other stuff that could be causing problems.

Are you running DNS on this machine? Named files exsit here, run pid
files, lock files, spool etc etc. So your problem maybe due to a stale
lock or pid file.

Hope this helps...

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
            -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */