[plug] Bill's enhanced standards (Re: [plug] Massive DoS attack?)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 25 12:30:17 WST 2002

> Hmmm... what weird characters? Yes, I did use MS Outlook to post that
> message, and yes, maybe it is Bill's "enhanced" version. I'm trying to
> switch to Ximian Evolution. *whinge* My Linux box is too small and too
> slow for usual work (Pentium 166's used to be cool, some time ago :P) so
> I'm stuck with my still-under-warranty WinXP box, with evil things on
> it, like MS Outlook and so on. But once the warranty's gone, I'm gonna
> gut it and put a shiny Linux installation on there. :)

Warranty? What's the warranty got to do with it? I haven't heard of a
system warranty that prevents _software_ changes (kinda makes the system
useless), not even OS upgrades / additions.

You could always dual boot, its not that bad (depending on what you want
to do, of course).

Anyway I'm sure there'll be a "follow the bloody standard" checkbox in
outlook somewhere... though I do hope you update your virus definitions
_every_ _single_ _time_ you connect to the 'net, given that you're using
outlook.

> BTW, I hear a rumour that the WinXP "kernel" (if it can be called that)
> has got some Linux kernel code in it and that that may account for its
> stability over previous Win9x releases... Anyone got more info on that?

_very_ unlikely. There are far too many skilled zealots out there with
decompilers and code analasys tools, it'd get noticed - especially if MS
tried it. More likely your rumor originally referred to BSD code, which
all MS Windows releases have contained (TCP/IP anybody?) and perhaps
more recent releases have added more BSD licenced code from, say,
freeBSD. Hell, MS use zlib extensively.

Anyway, everybody knows the GPL is evil. After all, microsoft told me
so. *sigh*.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)