[plug] Bill's enhanced standards (Re: [plug] Massive DoS attack?)

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Oct 25 15:13:44 WST 2002

> | BTW, I hear a rumour that the WinXP "kernel" (if it can be called that)
> | has got some Linux kernel code in it and that that may account for its
> | stability over previous Win9x releases... Anyone got more info on that?

There are two kinds of Windoze, 1) the over-grown GUI-on-DOS, once known
as win9x, and
  2) Windows NT, a lets-start-again-and-do-it-properly attempt from MS,
which includes Win2000 and WinXP.

So XP should be a whole lot more stable than the "venerable" 9x/ME.
The XP kernel (yes, it has one) is the NT kernel.

The NT kernel was originally suppossed to be a microkernel, a bit like
Mach, but its grown a bit since, as MS products tend to do :-)