[plug] Westnet DSL troubles: probably not linux issue

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Mon Oct 28 09:58:04 WST 2002

garry wrote:

>Being about to begin a Westnet ADSL service, I'd be rather keen to hear of
>options which DON'T give problems on Westnet and Debian. If the problem turns
>out to be a modem problem, I won't go ahead with the DSL 500..
>
>If it is a Debian thing (which I doubt somehow) I guess there is *gasp* the
>option of a Freebsd firewall/router, or maybe even the Smoothwall derivative,
>IPCop.
>
>Garry

Just to stop this misconception here which I think is developing.  If
you get the problem with WestNet, then you'll get it with Arach, iiNet
etc.  They all offer ADSL through Telstra's ADSL network.  Only
difference is that it terminates on the respective ISPs' networks and
they provide the authentication for it.

This is how it works:

Phone line -> DSLAM (at your local exchange) -> ATM -> Wellington St
Exchange Perth -> Frame or ATM -> ISP.

/ Ben