[plug] Westnet DSL troubles: probably not linux issue

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 28 10:29:41 WST 2002

> Just to stop this misconception here which I think is developing.  If
> you get the problem with WestNet, then you'll get it with Arach, iiNet
> etc.  They all offer ADSL through Telstra's ADSL network.  Only
> difference is that it terminates on the respective ISPs' networks and
> they provide the authentication for it.

Not strictly.
1) There are two different services - the so-called "layer 3" DSL which
uses Telstra for authentication, etc (older setup) and "layer 2" which
just feeds the ISP your data at a very low level.

2) Some ISPs use PPPoE, some use transparent bridging, etc on their
networks - and the configuration of those can cause issues.

Phone line -> DSLAM (at your local exchange) -> ATM
  [local]            [------------------  telstra   ]
PPPoE ==============================================>

-> Wellington St Exchange Perth -> Frame or ATM -> ISP.

You can't really have problems with the underlying access, unless (when)
Telstra breaks something. However, it is quite possible to have a
variety of issues with your ISP's PPPoE config, authentication systems, etc.

That said, I suspect that in my case my phone line is FUBAR, or maybe my
DSL-300 is bugged (but I doubt it).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)