[plug] Westnet DSL troubles: probably not linux issue

garry garbuck at tpg.com.au
Mon Oct 28 10:51:31 WST 2002

A couple of "interesting" thoughts for getting a better line...

If Telstra gets repeated complaints following repair, the priority escalates.
This happens automatically. 3 in a month elevates it to needing a major
investigation.

Telstra do not guarantee speeds over about 19k. But if you complain about a
"noisy line", and "crosstalk", especially following rain, it gets looked at.
If you keep complaining, theyll swap your line to a spare. If the line "is
quiet when the Telstra guy is there" say it is intermittant and bloody
frustrating..

If there is no spare line, it will need to be replaced which obviously is a
bigger job.

Being concerned about line privacy can't be a small thing to a
telecommunications company, can it.......

Atm, Telstra is throwing money at fixing a problem with a bodgy sealant used
in some cable. Never know, it might help you get service..

Fortunately, my telephone is with Telstra. If not, you have to go through
Optus, VirginBlue or whomever, and they chase Telstra for you. This is the
only advantage to a Telstra service  that springs to my mind atm..

I wasn't suggesting Craig's ADSL drama was Westnet specific, just that I was
about to commence using the same service, and would prefer to be able to
avoid the same issues from the start if possible..

HTH

Garry