[plug] Annoying Mozilla profile "lock"

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 30 18:51:47 WST 2002

> Now, ever since I upgraded to 1.0 (but not previous
> versions), if I click both of the icons at once (well
> you know what I mean), one of them - usually the first
> one clicked - comes up, but instead of the other one,
> it comes up with the Mozilla Profile Manager.

This is a problem with the "vanilla" mozilla and clearly the Ximian
version. You can work around it by having a short script for both, eg:

#!/bin/bash
mozilla -remote 'xfeDoCommand(openInbox)' || \
(echo "... running Mozilla" && mozilla -mail )

and

#!/bin/bash
mozilla -remote 'xfeDoCommand (openBrowser)' || \
( echo ".... running Mozilla" && mozilla )

that try to spawn a new window in a running moz process if one exists,
and if not will launch mozilla. If you click both icons almost at the
same time you'll still get your problem, but otherwise all will be well.

The debian packaged version of mozilla does not have this problem as
they've worked the above behaviour into the mozilla start-up scripts AFAIK.

> Previously I could do both at once, go away for a few
> seconds and when I came back they would both have
> loaded up fine. I'm presuming it's just a setting
> somewhere, but it's annoying... the lockfile madness
> is one of the reasons I dislike NS4.x :(

Nope, its 'cos you're using the Ximian moz not the debian one. I don't
understand why people go to Ximian when there's a perfectly good debian
packaged version of most stuff that _won't_ break your system. Instead
of Ximian, what about the mozilla.org version? At least then you could
get 1.1 or 1.2b.

> Anyone know whereabouts this is set?

It isn't - see above.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)