[plug] Annoying Mozilla profile "lock"

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 21:38:41 WST 2002

> This is a problem with the "vanilla" mozilla and
> clearly the Ximian version. You can work around it
by
> having a short script for both, eg:

[snip]

> that try to spawn a new window in a running moz
> process if one exists, and if not will launch
> mozilla.

*compares Ximian's 1.0.1 script with Woody's 1.0.0
one*

I'm guessing the above is supposed to be in the
check_running() function... and they are identical
AFAICT.

> If you click both icons almost at the same time
> you'll still get your problem, but otherwise all
will
> be well.

Oh. Well, in that case it's no use to me, as that is
precisely the (only) problem that I'm having.

> I don't understand why people go to Ximian when
> there's a perfectly good debian packaged version of
> most stuff that _won't_ break your system.

In my case, it was because potato didn't/doesn't have
Gnome 1.4, Mozilla 1.0, Gnucash, Gimp 1.2... and as I
already mentioned, I can't really upgrade to woody on
this machine just yet.

I can't say I've ever had problems with the Ximian
debs... in fact it "looks" and "feels" a lot better
integrated (interface-wise) than the default Woody
Gnome install IMHO.

/me grabs asbestos jacket...

Andrew

=====
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are
quick to anger and have not need for subtlety.

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!