[plug] pppd problems after kernel recompile

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 7 14:37:59 WST 2002

I'm running Debian Woody and am trying to recompile a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel
that has been patched to include the Linux Porgress Patch, which works great
and I get a nice graphical Debian themed boot, that gets me straight to kdm
without a sweat.

But problems arise when using kppp (although I think pppd is the problem),
using kppp once connected I can't resolve any domain names. I slapped my
forehead a few times as I did silly mistakes when choosing what to compile in
the kernel but I believe I have all the applicable ppp related stuff enabled
now and pon/poff actually work (thankfully, which allows me to go searching
for help).

I was previously using the Vanilla 2.4.18 kernel without any problems, I did
have a bit of an experiement with enabling/disabling modules and now if I
enable modules I get errors with modprobe not able to find the modules. Could
it be related to something to do with the modules loading?

I'm a bit of a newbie with kernel recompiling so I better check I'm ot mising
anything with my steps:

make menuconfig
make bzImage
make install

Then if I enabled module support (I haven't this time):

make modules
make modules_install

Then reboot. If I haven't enabled modules everything looks sweet with the
kernel messages but if I do enable modules I get the modprobe errors.

Can anyone shine any light on this? I'm also having problems with iptables but
I've disabled all the rules for now (I use GuardDog so I'm not quite up on
all the right lingo) until I can fix the pppd problem.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.:)

Cheers
Jason

--