[plug] [link] Microsoft Linux

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Sep 9 13:35:37 WST 2002

On 09/09 11:40:00, James Elliott wrote:
[ ... ]
> It occurred to me straight away that the site might be a
> "tongue-in-cheek" one, especially as it did not have the usual MS
> URL address, so I scrolled down to the bottom and found the MS
> copyright information and that is what made me think it was genuine

If you look elsewhere on the page, you'll notice a few fairly unsubtle
clues - such as the aforementioned "Microsoft Monkey Colony on Mars"
story, and of course the following quote in the "What others are
saying" section:

   "This is horseshit. Horseshit, horseshit, horseshit. And for those
   of you who don't know what that means, it's the shit that comes
   from a horse!" -- Greg, Columbia Internet

> parodies are one thing buy falsifying copyright is not usually
> supported by people having a joke.

Just putting a false "copyright" tag doesn't mean anything.

And as regards something more serious, eg. trademark infringement,
there's quite a lot of leeway provided by law for satire/parody.

> James Elliott

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.