[plug] Partitioning Hard Disk

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Sep 26 09:53:26 WST 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 22:30, William Kenworthy wrote:
> 2xRAM for swap is a rule of thumb - for instance, it is easy to make
> gnumeric use nearly 2G of memory/swap with large spreadsheets!  Some

I've never understood the 2xRAM rule. Ok, I understand it for SOME memory
models, but I didn't think it applied to 2.4 kernels.

I mean, if you've only got 16Mb of RAM, wouldn't you still be better off
having 500Mb or more swap? OTOH, we have servers with 1Gig of RAM that rarely
use swap (usually takes a runaway process to do it), and we only have 1Gig of
swap for them, which is overkill. Heck, for servers, you don't WANT to be
regularly swapping stuff. Swap is for storing unused excess memory usage, and
as a way of being able to run things that require more RAM than you have, is
it not?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |