[plug] Trying to install KDE on Debian

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 28 11:45:35 WST 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:47, James Elliott wrote:
<SNIP>
> FIRSTLY
> is "kde" what I should be trying to install or does it go by another name?
> I presume that KDE is on one of the 7 installation diskettes?
>
> SECONDLY
> if the pat-get install kde command is correct, what does the above error
> message mean?
>
> Love to hear from you ...... kind regards,
>
> James Elliott

I'm not sure how much of KDE that apt-get install kde would actually install
but it could be a whole lot more than you actually want. Although I wouldn't
even go near the ancient KDE 2.2.2 that was shipped with Woody, you'd be much
better going with the beta of 3.1 or atleast 3.03.

There is a page here:

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian/

That has details about the sources for the latest versions of KDE, I run the
latest version of KDE from CVS (It's actually quite easy to retrieve the
source and build it, especially if you have a fast machine) so I haven't had
any experience installing the .deb's but I did a similar thing with Gnome2
without any problems.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge