[plug] Worlds biggest luddite...

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Apr 3 23:13:42 WST 2003

On Thursday 03 April 2003 21:23, Denis Brown wrote:
> Regards the DCITA site, before hitting the "submit" button, anything
> libelous in this piece of "feedback" that I will send?

Some things missing.

> "I understand that DCITA spent more than AUS$4 million on this
> website.   If that is true, heads should roll.   Whoever is
> responsible for this outrageous expenditure should apologise
> to the Australian public.   The site is aesthetically unattractive,
> slow to load thanks to a large graphics overhead, uses an
> overly powerful, overpriced CMS (Vignette), contains pages that
> are immaterial to the site (the Tenders page link, for example,
> links to a fundamentally trivial page that in turn links to the
> information a visitor would seek) and is generally a
> disappointing effort.

Technically, it's even worse. It fails HTML validation miserably (nearly 400
errors on the front page alone), fails most interoperability standards as
badly, favours software from foreign interests instead of using and working
with local or global software, and consequently fails many Australian
government standards and guidelines for website design as well. All on a site
for a department supposedly dedicated to supporting and expanding IT in
Australia.

> To cap all this off, this comments box requires hard carriage
> returns in order to prevent scrolling off the window.   Given your
> expenditure, would an automatically-wrapping comments box
> be too much to ask?

> A sad day for Australian IT."

Cheers; Leon