[plug] OpenOffice1.1beta startup problems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Apr 14 14:23:37 WST 2003

>>	(a) trimming down the FontPath if there are any non-standard fonts in it,
>>	(b(1)) running it with DISPLAY=some_remote_machine,
>>	(b(2)) attaching a debugger in the vain hope you'll be able to figure out
>>what's going on?

> Here is the last tiny bit of strace's opinion on the matter:

Strace is, unfortunately, not overly useful with apps like mozilla and
OO.o . They're heavily multi-threaded and for some reason its rarely the
parent thread causing a problem - so often all you'll get is to see the
parent waiting for a response from a child thread.

As a result, gdb is often the only way to get anything done. Don't know
about you, but I can barely work gdb at all. I can create a core with

ulimit -c 10000000
<run process>

<another terminal>
kill -INT pid

and get a backtrace on the core, but I don't seem to have debugging
symbols in libc etc so it can be hard to figure out what's going on.

Craig