[plug] Mplayer runs wild

Russ Pitman rjp at belle.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 18 19:44:04 WST 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:22:58PM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> A bit of info if you will;

In order
> 1. What compiler are you using?

gcc 2.95.4-17

> 2. What drivers are you using for yor sound and video devices?

Sound - cmpci CMedia PCI cmi8338/8378

Video	nv4	Riva [TNT] Rev 04
nb. Ihave d/loaded the linux driver from nvidia.com, not yet installed

The video card is pretty basic, ASUS AGP-V3800 with 16mb and I really don't
expect much from it. I can't get fullscreen at the console. I am considering
upgrading, looking at a 3G 128M Geforce MX440. Do you know it?

> 3. Are you using OSS or ALSA, and if so, what release version?

Assume OSS *Not* ALSA Sound worked so never bothered to chase alsa.

> 4. Is your compiler the one that came with your distro, or have you
> upgraded of late?
Should have said this before, sorry
Debian testing uptodate as of wednesday.

> 5. Have you tried re-installing the sound drivers? It sounds like they're
> not properly installed, maybe you have to run the "make devices" script
> again.

No. Sound is working fine at the console and in Xfce and in mplayer in
Xterms
The /dev/dsp has 666 permissions. I run pysol to play solitaire and it
doesnt see sound in its options,but that has not bothered me. Probably
whatever is causing that is also gmplayer's problem

> 6. Are you using GCC 9.96?
N, is this a typo?

> Might be able to offer some help after that. :)

Hope so. Thanks for replying