[plug] dist-upgrade to sid (eventually) brings problems

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Wed Apr 30 20:53:47 WST 2003

from google groups:

Message 1 in thread

 From: Eli Méndez (hal97 at hal97.com)
Subject: Problem with libstdc++5 (dist-update problems)

View this article only

 Newsgroups: linux.debian.devel.testing
Date: 2003-04-29 04:50:09 PST

If you are using sid and have recently done a dist-upgrade you may have
noticed that it works ok for a while and then suddenly errors pop up,
errors that look something like this: update-menus: relocation error:
update-menus: symbol
 ZNSt9basic iosIcSt11char traitsIcEE4initEPSt15basic streambufIcS1 E,
version GLIBCPP 3.2 not defined in file libstdc++.so.5 with link time
reference
(Look familliar?)
I don't know what's wrong with this version (seems to coincide with the
introduction of gcc-3.3) but I DO know how to get your system working
again, simply downgrade the package libstdc++5 to testing.
apt-get install libstdc++5/testing

Hope this helps

--

I have the same problem and tried to above but I get:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Release 'testing' for 'libstdc++5' was not found
debian:/home/chris#

So maybe I have to change apt.sources as well (?) but am afraid of what else that could
potentially change...

thanks,

Chris