[plug] Problem with Toshiba 420CDT laptop debian install

John Usher (Maptek) John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au
Fri Aug 1 17:14:10 WST 2003

This laptop appears has a chips and technologies video driver.

We have a similar problem with X locking up on a slightly different C&T
chipset, and its due to the use of the hardware cursor.

To fix the problem, you need to alter your XF86Config (may be
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4...not sure for debian?)

In the Section "Device" for the graphics card chipset, try adding
	Option "SWCursor"

Of course, you probably want to start up in runlevel 1 or similar to
make sure you don't hit X before you get to a text login screen!

Yes...sigh...it does make the machine lock up completely!

...John...