[plug] printer still not working

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 5 15:15:16 WST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, rhyellin wrote:

> The plot thickens.  Thanks for help with ideas on clearing out the printer
> spool but the printer(a HP Deskjet 500,HP PCL) still doesn't work ie the
> next print job refuses to start in either Mozilla or opera.  I use RH 9.
> I'll one day configure CUPS - last time trouble with the driver so went to
> lprNG.

Not sure of the history of the problem, but, out of interest, we used an
HP Deskjet 500, and a 500C, for years, with Red Hat 6.2, without any
problems, running them off a server. There is no way that you should
need to use CUPS - from my understanding, CUPS is for GDI printers, and
the Deskjet 500 and 500C, are definitely not GDI.

So, I expect that RH9 should be able to easily work with HP Deskjets 500
and 500C.

Are you using the correct printer driver?

Have you perused the printing HOWTO, to (amongst other things) ensure
that you are using the correct printer driver?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."