[plug] DNS and Debian

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 9 17:07:09 WST 2003

In message <001601c35e54$9a3a9460$8100a8c0 at dyfrgi>
on Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 04:59:55PM +0800, Ady Gould wrote:
> What I'd like is a hand / some pointers to how to set Bind 9 to do
> private and public DNS with only the WWW, NS, MAIL and one or two other
> essential services being exposed to the public DNS side.

It's a cliche, but have you RTFM (am I mean that in a nice way)? The
Bind v9 Reference Manual should cover the exact way in which you can
configure Bind to do this. The manual also explains the cause of many
mysterious name daemon errors, should you encounter those. Hint: you are
probably after the "views" feature.  E.g.:

view "internal" {
    match-clients { internals; };

};

view "any" {