[plug] KDE / DCOP vs SMBFS home path.....? (long post, adv. topic)

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Mon Aug 11 11:01:37 WST 2003

Hi all,

I've been using Linux for a few years now and never came across this one
before.  My problem relates to KDE and probably also Samba...

Anyway, to start from the start, I've just ditched SuSE and installed
Mandrake 9.1, no real problem there.  I have a server running Samba
(among other things) with several global shares plus users home paths,
setup with swat.  There is no problem with the global shares, I just
include a line like the following in the workstation's /etc/fstab:

//[server]/[share]  /mnt/[path]  smbfs
auto,nouser,rw,credentials=/foo/bar,uid=[user],gid=[grp] 0 0

I also mount the user's home paths using a line like this for each user
(again in the wkstn's /etc/fstab):

//[server]/homes /home/[user]  smbfs
auto,user,rw,credentials=/foo/bar,uid=[user],gid=[grp] 0 0

Note that I've used "homes" as the source path, rather than [user] -
don't know if this makes any difference (?)

Anyway this all works fine for a console login.  A user can login (to
the wkstn), do an 'ls' and the files on their home path on the server
are there.  Also there is no problem with writing files (as verified
with "echo test > test.txt") or removing ("rm test.txt").

When it comes to X funny things happen.  If I try to login with a KDE
session I get the error:

There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.  The
message returned was:
Could not read network connection list
/home/[user]/.DCOPserver_[wkstn].leftclick.com.au__0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

I looked for the file mentioned and of course it wasn't there.

Next I tried logging in as root, running "dcopserver" manually, and
trying again, but got exactly the same error.  I tried Gnome but that
wouldn't work either, a similar error message (can supply exact wording
if req'd).  The same happened when running "dcopserver" manually as the
user trying to login to KDE.

Right now I'm using IceWM because it actually works.  If I run a KDE
application (even Klickety) under ice, I get the same error but the app
then still runs.  Some KDE apps like KOffice don't run at all, just
fails after the dcop message.

If I login as root and "umount /home/[user]" then I can login to KDE
fine.  But of course, then everything is stored on the local root
partition, not the Samba server.  That is why I believe the KDE problem
is related to Samba...

Sorry if this is all a bit long winded but there's nothing worse than
someone asking "I got an error message, what does it mean?".  Anyway if
there's anyone out there who can help, please do!  I've been told that
if there's anyone around who can help, they would be on this list ;-)

Regards,
Ben

Full version info:
Mandrake 9.1 (3 disc version)