[plug] KDE / DCOP vs SMBFS home path.....? (long post, adv. topic)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 11 11:10:44 WST 2003

> I also mount the user's home paths using a line like this for each user
> (again in the wkstn's /etc/fstab):
>
> //[server]/homes /home/[user]  smbfs
> auto,user,rw,credentials=/foo/bar,uid=[user],gid=[grp] 0 0

This will break anything that needs to create a UNIX socket, named pipe,
etc, as these must exist as "special" files on the filesystem, and SMBfs
doensn't understand about them.

Anything (say, ssh for example) that checks and sets file permissions
will also break.

You're much better off, if possible, automounting to /home/$USER/net or
something, and retaining the root-level home directory locally.

Did I mention how much this pisses me off? Why do we not have  a
'.config' directory, where ALL the app configs live - no more '.appname'
messy nightmare. Then you could just mount the $HOME/.config local ...
*sigh*. Also makes multi-host logins easier, since a search path like
'.config-`hostname`:.config-$IP_ADDRESS:.config' could be used.

Oh well. Maybe freestandards.org will help there.

> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.  The
> message returned was:
> Could not read network connection list
> /home/[user]/.DCOPserver_[wkstn].leftclick.com.au__0
> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

It can't create the UNIX socket file because smbfs doesn't support it.

Craig Ringer