[plug] KDE / DCOP vs SMBFS home path.....? (long post, adv. topic)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 11 11:26:30 WST 2003

> This will break anything that needs to create a UNIX socket, named pipe,
> etc, as these must exist as "special" files on the filesystem, and SMBfs
> doensn't understand about them.

More info, my memory having kicked back in:

Actually, I think that Samba 3.0 (if not earlier versions) can support
an 'extended' CIFS with POSIX permissions, and maybe also sockets etc.
This might be of some interest:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/

I think you have to use CIFS not SMBfs, so it's kernel patch time, but I
seem to remember playing around with it with decent results. Mostly in
the vein of "please, anything but that ugly NFS monstrosity!"

Craig Ringer