[plug] MDK9.1 KDE lockup

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 12 14:35:13 WST 2003

> I've locked the workstation numerous times before

You have? That by it's self suggests that something isn't right.

> Basically its just a standard install of MDK9.1 using KDE.  Any
> suggestions as to what might have caused it?

Hardware. Things like loose/dodgy RAM, overheating CPU or video card,
loose PCI card, etc. I'd suggest just opening it up and re-seating all
the cards, then when it's on checking what the CPU and GPU temperature
are like by putting your hand near them (not touching them).

Also use 'smartctl' to check your disks, make sure they're reasonably
cool, and if you're game run a disk test with the manufacturer's tools
(after backing up). Overheating/failing HDDs can cause all sorts of
problems, as I've had far too much experience learning.

Of course, hardware isn't the only possible cause, but if I had to take
a guess, that'd be it.