[plug] Printer sharing Dodgy

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 20:17:59 WST 2003

In message <002801c36259$66210fc0$6e64640a at tesla>
on Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:44:19PM +0800, Ryan Smith wrote:
> no the address is right. Its more it keeps on coming up with errors saying
> cannot connect, access denied. and each time i turn on the server the
> comment keeps on changing to something other than what ive got in samba.

I was thinking that you could use IPP instead of Samba, to avoid any
Samba access problems and give you a plain-text protocol that you could
examine easily.

> whatswrong with win printer drivers. usually they come with the printer when
> you buy it. if you dont have any they can generally be downloaded or windows
> can install them. ok they arent perfect but they seem to work.

I have had ongoing trouble with HP drivers, more than others. It seems
like every product vendor wants you to install and configure their own
bizarre crash-causing space-consuming software rather than have things
work out-of-the-box (plug-and-play).