[plug] MS vulnerability

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 15 14:24:20 WST 2003

I wonder how things will go in the future, as far as virii goes..

MS has discontinued support (no more patches) for NT4, and presumably
NT3.x.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39115709,00.htm

The number of legacy systems out there is far more than MS like.. I wonder
if these unpatchable (unmaintained and closed source) OS will act as
sounding boards for future worms, virii etc in the future.. Meaning that
now that MS is retiring support, the need to keep on top of patches for
w2K, W2003 and XP is even more importan..

A smart virus/worm writer would write them such that no effect is evident
on NT3/4, but that NT3/4 can act as distribution points.

8^|==

Garry