[plug] ADSL modem/switch

Sham Chukoury chukours at ses.curtin.edu.au
Sat Aug 16 16:32:26 WST 2003

Hello PLUGgers. :)

I'm currently considering moving to ADSL (no, dialup just doesn't cut it
anymore :P ). I've already decided to go with Arachnet's 'Alpha' plan,
but I'm having a bit of trouble with the hardware side of things...

See, I've got a home network (Linux box + WinXP box) and I'd like them
both to be able to access the net at the same time, preferrably without
necessitating one of them to be switched on for the other to be online.
I realise I need 2 things: an adsl modem and an ethernet switch. I've
had a look around and found at least 3 adsl modem/switch combo devices
that seem to fit what I'm looking for.

However, poking around on everythinglinux.com.au I found the Pulsar PCI
adsl modem. (http://www.everythinglinux.com.au/item/pulsarpci) (If I'm
not mistaken, the Linux driver for the device is maintained by Guy Ellis
- http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2002-12/msg00085.html) Traverse
Technologies' docs on the device
(http://www.traverse.com.au/products/default.asp?p=8) seem quite
impressive - low power consumption, low CPU overhead, support for PPPoE
*and* PPPoA... I've got my old P166 system[1] still sitting idly around
here, so I thought maybe I could get the Pulsar modem and shove in 2
other NICs (anyone got any spare/unneeded 10/100 MBps PCI ethernet cards
lying around? ;) ) and turn it into a custom adsl gateway/switch box
kind of thing. However, there are a few problems about doing it this
way... I haven't been able to find a reseller for the Pulsar modem in
Perth. Traverse lists WA Data (company related to Arachnet) as the only
WA reseller. However, while paying a visit to the WA Data/Arachnet
offices, I was told they're not willing to order just one of the devices
since they don't want to support a single user with the device (much
better off supporting a larger user base with the device). I'm wondering
if any PLUGgers know of some other local reseller? If there are no local
resellers, then I can always order it from everythinglinux, but I'm
worried that the package might arrive at some time when no one is around
to take the delivery. (According to your experience(s)), is it possible
to ask everythinglinux to deliver the package on a specific day (or
time)? Anyone know of alternate solutions to this delivery problem? :P

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on the subject of building
the custom gateway/switch box? :)

By the way, the 3 modem/switches i found are:

- Netgear DG814 (available from Harris Technologies, Tang Computers,
AFAICT, more expensive than the other 2, and most expensive solution
overall)
- D-Link DSL-504 (available from PLE @ $249)
- Billion BIPAC 741 (recommended by Arachnet - they sell it)

Related questions:
- Any objections to doing it the custom way?
- Anyone know of some way of estimating the power usage of such a custom
setup?
- Any comments on the 3 modem/switch devices I mentioned above?
- <insert a question or issue I didn't think of, here> ;)

[1] The current specs for the 166 box are:
- Pentium 166 CPU
- Asus VX97 motherbard (docs at
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/vx97-102.pdf)
- 48 MB EDO RAM
- Got a spare 2GB IDE hdd that I can plug in
- working floppy drive, broken (dead?) CD drive
- 3 PCI slots, 3 ISA slots, 1 PCI/ISA shared slot
- will run Linux, of course ;)

Cheers
§:)