Cooling systems (was Re: [plug] that Netway Computers board...)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 28 11:27:21 WST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:25:23AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
[...]
> You might at this point talk about peltier devices, water cooling, etc,
> but the problem remains that if the outside temp is lower than the
> inside temp, there is cooling, if not, there isn't.

Well... a Peltier device could actually help. Now an 8W Netway Geode
"wafer" board could get by with passive cooling, but if you wanted to
stick a Pentium IV in a box you could pump the excess heat away with a
Peltier device and an external heatsink.

You can buy the bare devices fom places like this ;
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/peltier.html

...or in car fridges ($50 at DSE, cat# M4500) ;
http://www.dse.com.au/

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal