Cooling systems (was Re: [plug] that Netway Computers board...)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 28 12:04:35 WST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:40:21AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> AFAIK, there is no actual pumping happening. All that you're doing is
> moving heat from one side of the peltier device to the other. If you
[...]

That's heat pumping. ::-) You can't get rid of heat in a closed system,
but by consuming energy you can move it around. It's quite a lot of
energy, you're right - several amps at 12V.

The external heatsink would benefit from fan cooling.

A full sized air conditioner amounts to the same thing - if you already
have an air conditioner available using that would be handy.

You can find a thermal circuit breaker/cutout/switch that cuts out at say
60 degrees C for $4.45:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3821

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal