[plug] SourceForge.net

indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 29 12:59:43 WST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:35:57PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> As a developer I'm contemplating making my software available as Open
> Source. I'd also like to colaborate on my software with a number of
> people around the 'net.
>
> The highest profile place to manage this looks to be SourceForge.net.
>
> I've read a bit of their documentation, but I cannot see what will
> happen if one day VA Software Corporation goes out of business or gets
> bought by someone less supportive of Open Source. Ultimately, they're
> footing the bill for the link(s) and the server(s).
>
> So, apart from doing the same on my own host - and then have the
> community be dependent on my ability to stay afloat, what happens if the
> unthinkable actually comes to pass?

Well, it seems to me you are asking the wrong question here...
The question is, does the documentation assign any rights to VA?

If not, then surely the smart thing to do is use the gift they give you
(Sourceforge) and keep regular backups. Should they pull the plug
(for whatever reason) you can look for an alternative then.
In this case it's really like hosting with anybody, there's always
the possibility that something will happen and they'll be unable
to keep hosting you. (Fire, Hurricane, Terrorists etc.)

OTOH, I haven't read all their documents, so maybe you've found an issue
in the TOS that bothers you? If "Free as in speech" is causing you worry,
then perhaps Savannah is a go?

P.S. I'm not totally neutral, I know someone connected with SF.net,
and from that I have the feeling things won't suddenly go belly up...

Indy.

--
Indranath Neogy
<indy at the-tech.mit.edu>

Connected by grasshopper powered 56K modem
and dilapidated Telstra copper, Perth, WA.