[plug] Mac expert anyone?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 5 01:04:17 WST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:51, you wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:30:40PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> | Just for the fun of it, I have been trying to install debian on a Mac
> | LC-575
> |
> | http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=575
>
> Good lord, that brings back (mostly unpleasant) memories.  We had LC IIs
> and later LC 575s at primary school.  Not to mention a few Acorn RISC OS
> machines.  I wonder what's happened to them ... probably they got
> homogenised into Windows PCs. :-(

I think these are ex primary school too, by the look of the drawings saved on
the hard drives. I picked two of them up from the Nannup recycling department
before they went to the tip - I just couldn't bear to see them crushed and
buried :)

> I note on the site you linked to, it mentions a power consumption of
> 40W.  The CPU alone in my desktop uses about twice that :-/  In fact, I
> notice looking at later machines on the site, even the iBook uses more.
> Blimey.

Your desktop and iBook have just a few (million?) more transistors cycling
just a bit (100,000 times?) faster :)

> Sorry I can't be of any use with the problems you've been having getting
> Debian onto it though.
>
> Cameron.

It's the challenge that's the thing here. I don't know what I am going to do
with the mac when I get it done, other than feeling exceedingly pleased with
myself :-)

Now I wonder if I can get u-linux onto the commodore 64 that was in the box
with them. I'm sure there must be a cassette tape boot image somewhere on the
net...

Steve