[plug] Argh! Parted Dramas. Help!

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Dec 5 21:35:17 WST 2003

I have a shiny new 120Gb HDD. I partitioned it using cfdisk, to which
the output of fdisk -l is:

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1               1          61      489951   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2   *          62        1156     8795587+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3            4807       14593    78614077+  83  Linux

All is good so far. Note the gap between hda2 & hda3 - 30 Gigs, on which
I want to install XP. However, XP refuses to partition the space, giving
some excuse about max partitions already used. Bah!

So, I want to use parted to move the 80Gig hda3 back, so that the 30Gig
is at the end of the disk. I fire up parted on the disk, display the
current config, and get:

Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-114473.460 megabytes
Disk label type: loop
Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Flags
1          0.000 114473.460  fat16

What the...

Anyone have any idea what the frell is going on?

If it helps, the HDD DOES have Smart Boot Manager installed on it in the
MBR - but why should that affect what parted makes of the partition table?

Running Debian, mostly "testing". Parted is the latest. Also tried the
Knoppix parted version(s) and they gave the same incorrect info...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |