[plug] I am a genius...[warning novel ahead]

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 13:57:07 WST 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 09:46, Adam Hewitt wrote:

> If this has already been done or you think it is stupid then please let
> me know, I tend to get grand ideas at times that others think are
> stupid. If you dont really want to join in but have some cool ideas
> about it anyways then please also contact me. I would also like to make
> this a cross platform program so if you dont want to program in linux,
> but you are able to make sure portability is viable then please also
> contact me. Anyone else wanting to complain about your mothers cooking
> or your crappy life...then get out of the house and do something, and
> then contact me!!

*snip*
I've had a similar idea for quite a while now. I even did a web-based
character generator which got semi-completed. Now that I have a Zaurus, my
efforts have been shifting towards tools & DB for that. However, like all my
grand plans, they are severely crippled by lack of time.

Plus, it's a simple idea, but believe me, it quickly balloons in complexity.
There ARE other tools out there, which others have done - but I tend to want
something slightly different.

My main emphasis is also on GM/DM tools. Players levelling up is fine, but as
a GM with little time, it's hard to generate decent NPCs in a hurry. I tend
to ad-lib a lot more than I'd usually like to.

I also like taking notes of a session. Again, a half-working plan to novelise
interesting sessions to a degree - the note-taking I do, but writing up I
just don't have the time. While I'm optimising how I record things,
especially combat, I have planned a PDA app to greatly simplify things, not
only from a note-taking POV, but also to make combat more efficient. Combat
is slow and painful when there's 6-8 players, plus NPCs, plus generic
combatants. Something to help the GM run and roll would make things much
smoother.

I do use the PDA for a few bulk roles, which I like keeping secret (eg; one
session had a Fort save for every player each day), but in general, Players
like the physical dice rolling. My group won't move to an all-Laptop
scenario...

Maybe over the hols I'll get some time & motivation to revisit my Plans. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |