[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 19 18:24:23 WST 2003

urrkkk! what did I start!

The purpose is to create a set of descriptive documents that can be used
to configure some numeric analysis software (R-proj) in an easy manner
so I can set up an analysis pipeline specified by xml, that will be easy
to modify and maintain.

I would lkke to make the distinction between editors like OO and
vi/vim/gvim which can text edit xml, and an xml editor. (same diff as a
true html editor compared to a text editor that highlights html)  As xml
is more complex, the features needed are greater (including built in
validation against the DTD).

I tried mlview last night nad its (just) usable, but there are almost
hundreds of mostly java based, half finished (the next feature we are
working on is the edit portion of the application - true!)
applications.  So I was hoping a standard, easy and useful Linux editor
existed.

Now Ive fed the thread, lets see how many more responses come up!

BillK