[plug] installing LAMP

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Wed Dec 24 09:20:45 WST 2003

Hi all.

I am now trying to install what is commonly known as LAMP - Linux, Apache,
MySQL, Perl/Php

My particular requirements are for L, A, Postgresql, Python/Perl/Php

I am operating Debian sid.

The standard installs from .deb files is not suitable as the installations
are minimalist and do not have the linking required.

Therefore I believe I need to install from source in all cases.

Has anyone done it and have a concise summary of the steps?

Can I install from source "over" the remnants of a .deb install?  (ie. I
have installed Apache with apt-get ... and have ap-get removed apache also
... but this doesn't entirely remove ALL files ...)

What does one do with other .deb install programs (like debconf) which
relies on Perl but can't associate with a source-installed Perl ...?  Does
one install debconf from source also?

I apt-get removed the perl I had originally installed with apt-get.  LOTS
of other dependencies also were removed....  Are these all to be
re-installed by source code?

It is just beginning!!

Thanks,

Steve