[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Dec 26 17:09:22 WST 2003

>I am currently in the market for a digital camera.  I am specifically
>looking at the Kodak EasyShare CX4310.  Looking at gphoto, I notice that it
>supports the Kodak EasyShare CX4300, but not *specifically* the CX4310.

Personally I wouldn't touch the Kodak cameras.  The specs sound good,
but the lenses (and hence the image quality) on them is pretty pathetic
in comparison to cameras from other manufacturers.  Not taking into
consideration as to whether it'll work under Linux, but personally I'd
opt towards Canon, Minolta or Nikon digital cameras.  Just beware that
megapixel ratings are not a good indication of image quality at all.
e.g. a good quality 2MP camera will take far better photos than a cheap
quality 3MP camera.

>Are the CX4300 drivers likely to work for the CX4310 or are they entirely
>different hardware?

Basically you could get an USB memory card reader to plug the flash
memory card into if the camera itself wasn't supported under Linux yet.

/ Ben