[plug] kernel compile problems

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Feb 6 17:10:10 WST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Carl Gherardi wrote:

> On the topic of 2.5 and kernel builds...
>
> How many people have played with it?

I'm one.  I know Dagobah is playing with it ATM

> I installed bitkeeper downloaded the sources and type make install without
> firing off a config program at all and rebooted.
>
> Everything worked (?!) including my zip disk. I had a look at the config
> file generated and it seemed to be a bare minimum config for my hardware.

I'd say then that you have firly std. hardware and the build system build lots
as modules.  Send me your .config and I can tell you which one.

> I dont remember seeing anything on lkml about the autoconfiguration stuff
> going into the kernel build system, is this the case now?

No there is no autoconfiguration stuff.  Wild guess it might "import" the
/boot/config-$(uname -r) and then answer y/m for anything it doesn't know
about.  I haven't looked at the sources BUT I'd say that's unlikely.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */