[plug] Minimum spec's for Mandrake 9

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon Feb 10 08:26:03 WST 2003

I doubt that you'd get much joy with X with KDE or Gnome. It should run
happily without X, but I presume that the point of the exercise is to
demonstrate a "better Windows than Windows". Maybe one of the other
"lighter" environments will be usable

RichardM

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 10/02/2003 08:23 AM
-----

                      "David Buddrige"
                      <buddrige at wasp.ne        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      t.au>                    cc:
                                               Subject:  [plug] Minimum spec's for Mandrake 9
                      07/02/2003 03:04
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

Hi all you Mandrake guys out there... 8-)

My brother was wanting to load up Linux on a spare computer he has to play
with it, and check out what it's like.  The spec's on the hardware he has
is:

Pentium II (233 to 333 MHz) system with about 128 Mb RAM and between 7-13
gig of hard-drive.

I had planned to suggest Mandrake 9; I've been a redhat guy in the past,
but
with the UI of Redhat 8, I suspect it might be a bit sluggish;  Will the
above spec's be sufficiently powerful to happily run Mandrake 9?

thanks

David